Friday, June 11, 2010

Sunday, June 27

We've set a date and reserved a space for a celebration of Mike's life. We hope everyone can join us.

It will be Sunday, June 27th from 5 to 7 p.m. at the clubhouse at the Appalachian Power ballpark in Charleston, W.Va. I realize this isn't a traditional setting for a memorial service but it somehow seemed fitting for Mike, especially when compared to our other options for space -- like a country club or a Marriott ballroom.

Mike did not want a traditional funeral service. His only wishes were to be cremated and have his ashes scattered at the Outer Banks. So this will be an informal gathering, with appetizers and drinks and lots of stories and memories about Mike.

I chose Charleston because that is where Mike spent most of his life, it's where we shared our lives and is the place we still call home. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

1 comment:

Integrative Health Services said...

Dear Carrie:

I don't know how else to contact you, so I'm going to do it here.
Mike and I last exchanged emails around his birthday. I had read your blog occasionally and looked at it in May, knowing Mike's birthday was coming up. I looked at it again when you decided to go back to chemo. And then again this past Friday.
Mike and I were friend as teenagers in Ocean City, NJ. I got to know him through the Pontons. We all lived on the same block in OC, NJ.
Mike and I remained friends and communicated and visited each other through our 20's when he was in WV and I was in NC.
We lost track of one another after I moved to Wisconsin. He called me sometime while I was planning my wedding back in 1999.
I kept up with his life through the Pontons when I would travel back east to visit my family.
Since I can't make it to the memorial, as much as I would love to be there...I just wanted to share some of my favorite memories of Mike.
He was an avid Who and Stones fan. I'm sure he still did it, but he would blast "Won't Get Fooled Again" and do the Dautry (sp?) scream. And the drum solo on the "air drum".
And of course Stooges. And tennis.
We grew up together. We "came of age" together. He is a great friend (so loved reading the obits and seeing how well he was loved by many). I knew his grandparents, his dad, and of course his sisters.
I have been so sad all weekend. I just wanted to share how wide his net was and that there are, I am sure, many other people you've never met or haven't heard of that were touched and were made better people because Mike was a part of our lives.
I am hoping you will continue your blog. I understand if you don't. Would love to continue to know how you and Julia are doing. Know that I am thinking about you and sending healing thoughts.

With love,
Meredith Young