Tuesday, June 8, 2010

In the works

I just wanted to let everyone know that we're working on a sort of "celebration of life" for Mike. He did not want a funeral, so I thought I would just try to gather everyone and we can share our memories.

Thus far, I know it will be in Charleston, WV, the weekend of June 26. Still trying to nail down whether it will be Friday night, Saturday or Sunday and still trying to find a place. I will update here when I have more details.

I also wanted to share a couple links to the stories and tributes that have been written about Mike. These have been so nice to read. It warms my heart knowing how many people love him and regard him so highly as a writer. One of Mike's friends said to me that it was no surprise that so many people claim Mike as a best friend. I have found that to be true. And I know that I am not grieving alone. This is a loss for so many people.

You can read the Daily Mail story here.
This one was written by Mike's friend and co-worker Brian McCallum at Florida Today.
This is the obit that I wrote.
Florida Today also did a news story.

Thank you so much for all the messages and calls. I do not exagerate when I say that your thoughts and words are getting me through the day.

And last, one of my favorite pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading all these wonderful tributes makes me wish I had gotten to know Mike, but just didn't have the chance. I can see how much he was loved and respected. Please know that you, Julia and your mom are in my prayers.

Love,
Nancy

Unknown said...

Carrie,

I just wanted you to know how sorry we are about your loss.
When I would talk to Mike in the newsroom at the Daily Mail, I always left his desk with a smile. The man had an amazing wit and could see the irony in almost any situation.
I remember talking to Jody about Mike's writing, how he always had those golden nuggets way down in his stories that always made me laugh. Jody said his philosophy was that he didn't matter to him how obscure the reference was; if it made one person laugh, it was worth it. Well, he made a lot of people laugh, including yours truly, the Charley West of days gone by. He was a good guy, and I'm so glad I got to know him.
Our thoughts will be with you and your daughter in the days ahead.
Take care,
Jeff Morris, Daily Mailer, 1989-2005