Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cancer etiquette

Is there such a thing? Today at the dentist, when the receptionist, who knows Mike through the world of high school sports, asked about him, I just told her he was fine. No need to announce he has cancer, right? And when the dentist told me I needed to get on Mike about coming back to finish up some much-needed dental work, I wanted to scream, look buddy, he has more pressing problems right now than his teeth. But I don't guess you can just say things like that.

The other day though, I did do something Emily Post would disapprove of. One of the assistant metro editors came over to Mike and me and commented on Mike's weight loss. He's down about 10 pounds. He wanted to know what we're doing since I had lost about 30 pounds last fall. I think Mike and I made just made stupid faces, but he kept on. He asked if we were doing South Beach. Then I just blurted: Mike has CANCER. You could see the look of horror on his face and I instantly felt like a total jerk. I don't want to make someone feel bad. It just came out. I sent him a note apologizing. He told me he was praying for us.

I don't know if there are rules for such things. I just hope I don't flub up too bad again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I laughed at that story?

Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings. You guys are going through a lot and most of these people are assholes.

Now I will be an asshole and offer you Goombay's for the name of who asked you that.

Anonymous said...

You should have told Mr. Metro Editor that both you and Mike developed a pretty powerful meth habit and the pounds were just falling off.

Andrew Knapp said...

Whoa.